Everyone gets stuck in a rut sometimes. What happens once you get there is up to you. You can either let it sap all the joy of living out and confidence out of you, or you can pull yourself up by the bootstraps and find a way to get your happy on.
In case you’re not quite sure how to do that, here are a few suggestions:
1. Stop wallowing in your problems. Thinking about your problems is a sure way to chase happiness away. If there’s something specific that’s bothering you and causing you to be unhappy, find a way to deal with it. Action always works better than wallowing. And if there’s nothing you can do about it right this minute, then feel free to play Scarlett O’Hara and think about it tomorrow. Set it aside and think about something that does make you happy.
2. Find someone to hang out with. When you’re unhappy, it’s not good to be alone. It’s much too conducive to the aforementioned wallowing. Call up a friend and see if you can spend some time with them. Even if you just get out for coffee, it’s a step closer to feeling happier than sitting all by yourself at home.
3. Do what you love. A lot of unhappiness stems from having to do work we don’t like very much. So when you have free time, you should be filling it with the things and people you love. Go with the tried and true activities that you enjoy doing. Chances are that you’ll have a smile back on your face in no time.
4. Try something new. Are you feeling a little blue because you’re bored? Boredom breeds negative energy that can turn to unhappiness in a heartbeat. Why not try a new hobby that you’ve thought about but never got around to.
5. Take a class. Pick a subject that you have interest in and sign up. Learning something new leads to new experiences and opportunities, and the happiness you seek might be just around the corner. You never know until you try!
6. Get some exercise. You can get your happy on just by moving your body. Go for a walk outside, or turn the radio on and dance around your living room. Whatever you decide to do, don’t let your mind tell your body it’s too tired because chances are that as soon as you start moving, you’ll start feeling better.
7. Get out and meet new people. You can find new people to chat with everywhere. You can even do it without leaving your home by finding like-minded people online. Meeting a new friend that you connect well with will certainly improve your mood.
8. Start new adventures. Try something new either by yourself or with your friends. Let your mind go wild with ideas. As you start planning your adventure, you’ll find your happiness meter moving up again as you get caught up in the excitement.
9. Make time for your spiritual side. Sometimes we become unhappy when we’re too rushed and busy. Take a little me time to relax, unwind and meditate. Even if you’re not a religious person, you can contemplate the answers to life’s big questions. When you focus on the big picture, sometimes it allows you to see your challenges and unhappiness in a whole other light.
Next time you’re feeling unhappy and life’s challenges are getting you down, try one of these ideas and see if you can’t get chase the blues away. Because when it comes right down to it, happiness is a choice and the choice is yours! So, to paraphrase that Dierks Bentley song … Come on, come on, Get your happy on!